From: "Manuel A. McLure" <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] got lprng?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:36:22
1 On Sunday 19 February 2006 01:53 pm, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Then you're part of a dying breed evidently.
3 >
4 > I wasn't able to get cups to work so installed lprng.
5 >
6 > For more details on my problem go to the archives and
7 > search against my name and 'print' and 'cups'
8
9 I can't imagine how frustrated you are at this point.
10
11 If you wouldn't mind, I have some troubleshooting suggestions. It appears that
12 perhaps you might have some problems with the actual printer interface
13 (/dev/lp0), so let's make sure that works well.
14
15 FIrst, make sure nothing, even lprng, is using /dev/lp0 - shut down lprng and
16 make sure there are no processes left around.
17
18 Then run the following command:
19
20 /bin/echo -e -n Hello\\015\\012World\\015\\012\\014 >textfile.txt
21
22 And finally
23
24 cat textfile.txt >/dev/lp0
25
26 This should print out
27
28 Hello
29 World
30
31 followed by a form feed.
32
33 Unless this works, there's not much use trying to get lprng (or even CUPS) to
34 work.
37 Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
38 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
39 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list