From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3: 10% non-contiguous
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:21:43
1 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
2 > ~ (more or less) the 10% of the filesystem is
3 > non-contiguous. I suppose that the problem is that I've saved and
4 > then deleted some files really big, and there's a hole.
5 >
6 > Well, I'd like to recover those holes (that 10% of the disk)
7
8 There are no holes, there is nothing to recover. It just means that
9 10% of the files are not allocated as a single contiguous string of
10 blocks, which makes reading these files just a little bit slower.
11 Nothing to worry about.
12
13 If you really want to "defrag" the file system, then copy everything
14 to another partition, recreate the file system, and copy everything
15 back: cd /parti1; tar -cf - . | (cd /parti2; tar -xpvf -)
16 But this isn't worth the time it costs.
17
18 Benno
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list