From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 18:48:52
1 Am 04.08.2015 um 20:30 schrieb Felix Miata:
2
3 > 1-I just find upgrade processes more enjoyable than inital installations and
4 > their follow-up tedium getting from defaults back to the way I like things to
5 > work.
6
7 been there, done that ... several times.
8 Loads of work but also a big chunk of learning possible, sure.
9
10 > 2-From one installation to the next, I typically forget installation choices
11 > that in hindsight I would not have made.
12
13 That's what software like ansible is good for.
14
15 It really pays off to learn to use such a tool ... even when you only
16 use basic features (like I do currently).
17
18 Writing your first roles and playbooks takes more time than "simply"
19 setting up stuff manually. But it really helps as soon as you roll that
20 out to the second, third, X-th server.
21
22 > Seriously, more than a day?
23
24 yes :-)