From: Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD success - I think
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:20:10
1 Am 22.02.2014 15:47, schrieb Peter Humphrey:
2 >
3 > I find though that fstrim can't operate on /boot, which is a separate ext2 file
4 > system. It reports:
5 > fstrim: /boot: FITRIM ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
6 > Is this because it's an ext2 partition, not ext4 like the rest of them? Man
7 > fstrim makes no mention of file-system types.
8
9 Yes, only ext4 of the extX file systems supports discard/trim
12 > Maybe I've not laid out the partitions properly. I used gparted from a recent
13 > System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org), which said it was leaving 1MB unused
14 > before /dev/sda1.
15 >
16 > While I'm here, would anyone like to suggest suitable parameters to mkfs for
17 > any of my file-systems? Here's the fstab:
18 >
19 > /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,relatime 1 2
20 > /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
21 > /dev/sda5 / ext4 relatime 0 1
22 > /dev/sda6 /var ext4 relatime 0 2
23 > /dev/sda7 /home ext4 relatime 0 2
24 > /dev/sda8 /var/cache/squid ext4 relatime 0 3
25 > /dev/sda9 /usr/portage ext4 relatime 0 3
26 > /dev/sda10 /usr/portage/packages ext4 relatime 0 4
27 > /dev/sda11 /usr/local ext4 relatime 0 2
28 > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
29 > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
30 > tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
31 > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
32 >
33 > I created all the ext4 file-systems with -O ^has_journal to avoid concentrated
34 > wear. Is this still a good idea nowadays? I'm happy to sacrifice the comfort of
35 > journalling since recovering this small box from backup is so quick and easy.
36 > Of course I did plenty of googling before doing anything and picked out what
37 > still seemed appropriate, but I could easily have missed something important.
40 I used the default options for ext4 on my SSDs. The only thing I do is,
41 I set noatime in fstab. But I do this for all file systems.
42
43 My oldest SSD is from 2008/2009, I'm not sure. It's a 32GB SuperTalent,
44 and it still runs great today. And I did not care for low writes etc. I
45 just used it like any other disk.