From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:02:27
1 Jack wrote:
2 > This switch is NOT bringing in systemd.  It is just switching which
3 > package is now providing udev as extracted from systemd. The news item
4 > actually gives a bit more detail.
5 >
6 > The network name switch (which I had thought was mentioned in the new
7 > item, but apparently is not, so I don't remember where I read it) is
8 > not directly due to eudev vs. udev, but to the "new" (years old at
9 > this point) switch to consistent naming (or something like that) so
10 > your network is probably something like enp20s2, reflecting which slot
11 > your network card is physically in.  I'm pretty sure there is a kernel
12 > boot parameter which forces the old way, but can't find it now, as I
13 > switched to the new naming with eudev, so switching to udev didn't
14 > break anything for me.
15 >
16 > Looking through the dmesg output should tell you what it is currently
17 > using but you'll have to hunt (or someone else will hopefully
18 > remember) how to make the system revert to the old network interface
19 > naming.
22 I'm not completely opposed to switching to the new name method.  Your
23 info about it being in dmesg is helpful.  Now I know where that name is
24 exactly.  ;-)  Do I just rename my current net.eth* files to the new way
25 and it works or do I need to do something else or is there a automatic
26 way to do this?
27
28 That makes sense and was on my suspect list.  I just didn't know where
29 to get the new name from.
30
31 Dale
32