From: Toby 'qubit' Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many people use KDE?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:33:29
1 On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:56:47AM +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Saturday 21 January 2006 00:44, Alan E. Davis wrote:
3 > > May I ask others' experiences with e17? I just wasted my holiday
4 > > installing e17 on two of three machines. It is smaller than Kde, but
5 > > background is 20% of cpu . Buggy. Beautiful. A PITA to configure,
6 > > and menus suck. I don't think I'll be there long. I liked
7 > > enlightenment .16 except I guess I really do need icons to remind me
8 > > of what I've got on the system, and good menus.
9 >
10 > that was exactly how I felt. All the problems to get it installed, and than it
11 > was such a bad thing to configure&use, that I deinstalled it some days later.
12 > I used earlier enlightenment incarnations as my main desktop for some time,
13 > back, when KDE 2.X was dead slow, but when KDE 3 came out, enlightenment lost
14 > its appeal.
15
16 That's a bit unfair on e17, given that it's still pre-release
17 software. It is indeed buggy at the moment (though I should add I
18 haven't had any problems with more recent CVS installations), but
19 that's to be expected in a pre-release, and you're warned about it in
20 big red letters when you emerge it.
21
22 It is also a PITA to configure at the moment, but graphical menu
23 managers, keybinding editors, icon creaters, desktop icons, etc. are
24 planned before the release version, and every CVS checkout seems to
25 add more graphical configuration options at the moment, and reduce the
26 number of times I resort to the enlightenment-remote shell command.
27
28 Finally, on my ancient Pentium2 450, it uses 2-3% of cpu. In fact, I
29 find it more responsive than e16. So I'm not sure where the 20% comes
30 from. Maybe you've enabled lots of the processor intensive eye-candy,
31 like animated backgrounds or the snow or flames modules? Or you just
32 need to update to a more recent CVS release.
33
34 Without wishing to start a flame war, it's unfair to the developers to
35 give the impression that their software doesn't work very well without
36 at least mentioning it's pre-release (and therefore not expected
37 to!). And really, criticising it at all for being buggy and lacking
38 features is a little unfair. If you're not prepared to put up with
39 some rough edges, wait for the official release version.
42 Just to put in a good word for e17 to balance the discussion...
43
44 Personally, I prefer enlightenment to KDE or gnome because I don't
45 like the whole integrated desktop approach. I prefer my window manager
46 to manage windows, and leave me free to run whichever apps I like. My
47 ideal window manager has nothing at all on the desktop (except maybe a
48 wallpaper to gaze at when nothing's running), no gizmos taking up
49 desktop real-estate, an easy way to run my most frequently used apps
50 and some way to get at any others I might need occasionally, some way
51 to navigate between running apps, and as much as possible of this
52 should be manageable from the keyboard (with completely configurable
53 keybindings). If it does all this and looks beautiful at the same
54 time, so much the better!
55
56 I find that, of the traditional window managers, enlightenment comes
57 closest to this ideal (though I admit I've never tried FLuxbox or
58 IceWM - I stopped looking when I found I was happy with
59 enlightenment). Since a lot of e17 features are written as modules, I
60 can choose not to load (or often not to install) them, so only those
61 features I want take up disc space and memory (it's the gentoo
62 way!). For instance, I don't bother loading e17's "start menu".
63 (what's the point when I have ibar and keybindings to run the apps I
64 use most, and the run dialogue for the rest?). But it's there for
65 those who want it. E17 has completely configurable keybindings, even
66 if they're a pain to configure at the moment, and the
67 "enlightenment-remote" command line...err...command is fantastic for
68 getting shell scripts to interact with the window manager.
69
70 If you've read all that, you'll not be surprised I also like ratpoison
71 ;-) But I haven't used it long enough to get used to it yet. And I've
72 not got beyond installing ion yet.
73
74 Window managers are very much a personal choice, and there is no
75 "right" decision, except try out a few and decide for yourself. Which
76 means it's worth at least being aware that there are plenty of other
77 choices apart from KDE and gnome, if you're not happy with them
78 (unlike a certain other OS, where there's not even a single
79 alternative ;)
82 Toby
83 --
84 PhD Student
85 Quantum Information Theory group
86 Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics
87 Garching, Germany
88
89 email: toby@××××××××.org
90 web: www.dr-qubit.org