From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good file system that recovers from a power failure.
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:54:43
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:27 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
5 > > It's my opinion that reiser is in security-fix-only mode from whoever is
6 > > maintaining it. If everything else around it stays the same, the fs will
7 > > obviously continue working just as it always did. But the surrounding
8 > > system is not stable, it changes rapidly, especially in kernel space, so
9 > > the odds are stacked against reiser for bitrot. For all these reasons, I
10 > > regretfully switched my own systems over to ext4 some time ago. Rieser
11 > > was a good fs whose time has come and gone and I no longer had warm and
12 > > fuzzies about the future with it.
13 >
14 > I'm not sure I EVER saw a update to reiserfs. I was hoping it was just
15 > that good. lol
16 >
17 > This is also the reason I was considering moving to ext4 or something.
18 > How has ext4 been treating you since the switch? I also assume you have
19 > UPSs as well?
20
21 It's still early days, but ext4 has been good here on all machines. I don't
22 have a UPS (couldn't be bothered really...) so the UPS is the device's
23 battery. Which means me doing something really stupid and locking the machine
24 up is the most common reason for hard reboots. It survived every time so far.
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com