From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:48:32
1 On Wednesday 17 November 2010 22:24:23 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:59 on Wednesday 17 November 2010, James
3 > did opine thusly:
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > I have a ~250 gig sata disk I want to migrate to a 2T
7 > > Sata disk. This is simple, but, I have a few caveats.
8 [snip ...]
11 > > Ok now I was going to use same reiserfs < no big deal>
12 >
13 > I dropped my beloved reiserfs systems of many years in favour of ext4. I
14 > was seeing ext4 (and the much-hyped btrfs) racing forward into the
15 > distance with improvements, useful features and more, while reiser3
16 > languished. The last straw was when I started getting fs errors for no
17 > good reason.
18 >
19 > Let's face it, reiser was Hans. The team he left behind can do maintenance
20 > and bug-fixes, but how many features have you seen added in two years?
21 >
22 > > unless I can use reiser4? good idea? <discuss-caveats>
23 >
24 > Yuck.
25 > It's not in mainline and will never go in mainline.
26 > It's not in the tree and will never go in the tree.
27
28 Hmm ... that's not what is mooted here:
29
30 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzY4OQ
33 > My understanding is it never actually got finished; and with all those
34 > plugins it is just not possible to write a *real* fsck. I would not touch
35 > it myself with your bargepole.
36
37 It seems that it is still under development, but perhaps not as fast as it
38 were when Hans Reiser was at it full time.
41 I have been using reiser4 for almost a year. It *is* fast!
42
43 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=reiser4_benchmarks&num=1
46 However, Alan's point about a <aheam!> questionable fsck.reiser4 seems correct
47 if my experience is anything to go by:
48
49 I've had a number of fs corruptions (could be dodgy hardware?) and some of
50 them have not recovered gracefully. :-(
51
52 Some data (files) were lost a couple of times. I don't know if I should blame
53 the disk, the fs or the fsck.reiser4 command, but it is clear to me that
54 reiser4 is not as reliable as reiserfs was for me for over 6 years.
55
56 YMMV.
57 --
58 Regards,