From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:35:32
1 Jorge Morais wrote:
2 > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:48:22 -0400
3 > Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Also, the kernel is the last place that you want to drag
6 >> your feet for updates. If there's a bug in the kernel I want to have it
7 >> fixed asap. Granted you can also argue that I'm injecting buggy code.
8 >> It's two sides of the same coin.
9 >>
10 > Come on, that is what bugfix releases are for.
11 > Gentoo-sources is patched for bugs.
12 > I prefer to use vanilla-sources, so I rely on upstream's bugfix
13 > releases. Currently I use 2.6.27.21. I will stop using 2.6.27.x
14 > when a later version becomes gentoo-stable, and either
15 > 1) upstream stops bugfixing 2.6.27
16 > 2) 2.6.27 lacks a feature I want
17 > 3) 2.6.27 becomes so old that I fear it might be incompatible
18 > with the rest of Gentoo.
19 >
20 > Probably 1 or 2 will happen much earlier than 3.
21 >
22 > PS: I of course know that sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.27.21
23 > is currently ~x86, but my rationale is that 2.6.27 is Gentoo-stable,
24 > and I want the latest bugfix release from the stable release family
25 > I am using. I don't know why, in the case of the 2.6.27.x version,
26 > the Gentoo kernel team is taking so long to stabilize the latest
27 > bugfix release.
28 >
29 > PS2: If something I said sounds strange, remember English is my second
30 > language.
34 Like I said, you're waiting for x months (I think it's 3) for the gentoo
35 teams to mark it from ~arch -> arch. That's 3 months that you don't
36 have bug fixes in.
37
38 N matter what though, the most important thing to remember is to do what
39 you're comfortable with. While I think that Gentoo is the greatest
40 distro of the greatest OS, me suggesting it to somebody who can't learn
41 how to use it is foolish, people need to be comfortable and happy with
42 the solution.
45 Eric Martin
46 Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F