From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:46:09
1 On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I've been using vanilla-sources since September 2009, in all my
5 >> machines. I use systemd, so having the latest kernel version doesn't
6 >> hurt; a new vanilla-sources version is usually ready a few hours after
7 >> Linus releases a new kernel, and gentoo-sources takes at least a few
8 >> weeks, sometimes more.
9 >
10 > When was it that you noticed gentoo-sources being that far behind.
11
12 As I said, I switched to vanilla-sources more than five years ago; and
13 I remember that was the case back then.
14
15 Certainly I should not have assumed that it was still that way now; I
16 apologize for that.
17
18 > Generally-speaking vanilla-sources and gentoo-sources tend to be
19 > updated within a day or two of a new stable kernel release. Now,
20 > stable keywords on gentoo-sources tends to track longterm kernels, so
21 > that will be behind ~arch by a few weeks.
22
23 I was probably using stable, yes. Afterwards, it was decided that
24 vanilla-sources would be always be ~arch, so probably I kept the idea
25 in my mind that gentoo-sources was lagging much more than
26 vanilla-sources, since with ~arch vanilla-sources is updated almost
27 immediately.
28
29 > Maybe if you caught somebody on vacation I could see gentoo-sources
30 > lagging a bit, or if there was some debate over whether to include
31 > some patch in it...
32
33 You are right, I apologize for the confussion.
34
35 Regards.
36 --
37 Canek Peláez Valdés
38 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias