From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netfilter tarpit target
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 02:16:29
1 On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 11:49:06AM -0600, darren kirby wrote:
2 > I realize there is a sense of satisfaction from using the TARPIT target that
3 > is appealing, however you must consider:
4 >
5 > 1. These ssh bruteforce attacks are almost certainly coming from a zombie
6 > botnet, and thus there is no human to realize their connection has
7 > been 'stuck'. The zombie will happily freeze for 30 seconds then try again.
10 I use a -j DROP for my script that lasts for 1 hour. My experience
11 from two years ago when I wrote that script was that the Bots stops
12 trying after 5 minutes or so. YMMV
13
14 W
15 --
16 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
17 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
18 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list