From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 07:45:46
1 On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
3 >>>> Interesting news related to ZFS:
4 >>>>
5 >>>> http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Main_Page
6 >>> I wonder if this will be added to the kernel at some point in the
7 >>> future? May even be their intention?
8 >> I think the CDDL license is what's keeping ZFS out of the kernel,
9 >> although some argue that it should be integrated anyway. OpenZFS
10 >> retains the same license.
11 >>
12 >> - Grant
13 >>
14 >> .
17 > Then I wonder why it seems to have forked? <scratches head >
20 At the moment, only to 'decouple' ZFS development from Illumos development.
21
22 Changing a license require the approval of all rightsholders, and that
23 takes time.
24
25 At least, with a decoupling, ZFS can quickly improve to fulfill the
26 needs of its users, no longer depending on Illumos' dev cycle.
29 Rgds,
30 --
31 FdS Pandu E Poluan
32 ~ IT Optimizer ~