From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(2,0)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 03:58:30
1 On 12/11/05, Felipe Ribeiro <felipernb@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I've just installed Gentoo 2005.1-r1 on my amd64 box and i've got this
5 > problem while rebooting:
6 >
7 > Root-NFS: No NFS server available giving up.
8 > VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
9 > VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
10 > end-request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
11 > VFS: Cannot open root device hda2 or unknown-block(2,0)
12 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
13 > Kerenel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
14 > unknown-block(2,0)
15
16 This usually means you did not compile the driver for your root
17 filesystem into the kernel. Maybe you compiled this as a module?
18
19 > Here is my grub.conf
20
21 <snip>
22
23 > root (hd0,1)
24 > setup (hd0)
25
26 I don't think these setup lines should be in grub.conf. I'm not sure
27 that it causes any harm, but it doesn't look right to me.
28
29 -Richard
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list