From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HD device becomes SD device
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 04:55:00
1 On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM, David Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > I install gentoo 2008 amd64 in a virtual box virtual machine. I
4 > configured the controller to us IDE controller, and if I boot from
5 > livecd, it DID get a hda device under /dev. But after I finished
6 > setting up the system, I cannot find the HD device, instead, I found a
7 > SD device.
8 >
9 > Maybe there are something wrong with the kernel I compiled, but I do
10 > not know how to troubleshoot this.
13 No, to my knowledge, that's the proper behavior. The disparity between the
14 LiveCD and actual installs is...a little unfortunate. But anyway, movement
15 to more widespread use of libata has renamed all /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*
16 equivalents. It should not impact you in any significant way. See
17 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml#doc_chap3 for a little more
18 information. As far as making it work, really, just change /dev/hd* to
19 /dev/sd* in your /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf (or whatever the LILO
20 equivalent is) and you should be fine.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wyatt