From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev full of pty* & tty* - is it normal?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:23:33
1 On 26. 1. 2010 18:57, Alex Schuster wrote:
2
3 >> I just noticed I have *a lot of* tty/pty files in dev:
4 >>
5 >> obelix ~ # ls -l /dev/pty* | wc -l
7 >> obelix ~ # ls -l /dev/tty* | wc -l
10 >> They have names from /dev/ptya0 till /dev/ptyzf, then
11 >> pty0-pty63, and ttya0-ttyzf. Is this normal? I thought
12 >> udev creates device-files as they are needed, so I'm
13 >> surprised to see so much of them...
14 >
15 > Seems to be normal, I get the same output on two of my Gentoo machines.
16 > Wonko
17
18 Thanks for info. FYI I just checked some debian-machine and
19 it has only 63 tty's and none pty. I always thought it had
20 something to do with number of terminals started by inittab.
21 Anyway, it looks so that udev is not dynamic for all kind
22 of dev-files...
23
24 Jarry
28 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
29 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.