From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel config power-saving arcana; and getting acpi working.
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:55:29
1 Some while back I was trying to get power saving working fully on my desktop
2 box and I found people talking about swsusp (as opposed to swsusp2) being
3 part of the official kernel sources. This puzzled me greatly because I have
4 never come across this option when configuring a kernel. In the end I
5 resigned myself to it being just one of those things.
6
7 However yesterday, while I was trying in vain to get at least one acpi
8 function working, I became vastly more perplexed to find that there is
9 supposed to be a kernel config parameter called CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP. Again, I
10 have never come across this option when I have configured a kernel. Yet it is
11 supposed to be part of the vanilla kernel (e.g. 2.6.15). Am I delusional?
12
13 I have tried a whole load of other things to get things like acpi sleep
14 working, such as patching the 2.6.15 kernel with the patches from
15 acpi.sourceforge.net, making sure APM is disabled, as well as patching the
16 kernel with a debugged version of my motherboard's DSDT, but nothing gets any
17 kind of suspend or sleep working.
18
19 I understand that I should be able to trigger power saving states by writing
20 to /sys/power/state, but whenever I 'echo -n standby > /sys/power/state' or
21 'echo mem > /sys/power/state', even as root, nothing happens. I have checked
22 the write permissions and they are fine. However 'cat /sys/power/state'
23 invariably returns 'standby mem', no matter what I do.
24
25 acpid works, at least to the extent that the machine will halt when the power
26 button is pressed.
27
28 If I could ditch acpi and get by with apm then I would, however I am not
29 optimistic about this because apm is supposed not to like multiple processors
30 and I have a hyperthreading P4.
31
32 How am I to get power saving (well, sleep at least) working?
33
34 Thanks
35 Robert
36 --
37 Robert Persson
38
39 Conspiracy Bears:
40 Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list