From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Security from non-authorized logins
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:07:17
1 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > I helped a friend install Ubuntu GNU/Linux on his laptop, he left
3 > town, forgot his passwords, and I promised to breakin for him, so he
4 > can re-do his passwords. Told him all I have to do is run Knoppix,
5 > access his partition, and delete the little x in the password file.
6 > Then he would reset his root password in be back in business.
7 >
8 > He felt betrayed. I understand why, I think: what's secure about
9 > GNU/Linux if anyone can boot the system and reset his passwords?
10
11 That's NOT a Linux problem. If you've got physical access,
12 you can easily break in (same for Windows, BTW).
13
14 > I said, Dunno. I'll ask on the Gentoo list.
15 >
16 > How can anyone easily avoid the problem of anyone being able to access
17 > the guts of his machine using a live CD?
18
19 Remove CD-Rom.
20 Put Computer in a solid box which cannot (easily) be opened,
21 so that it's "impossible" to attach an external CD-Rom.
22
23 > I already thought of one:
24 > use the BIOS to disallow booting from a CD or Floppy, and set a
25 > password on the BIOS.
26
27 Most BIOS support either a "master password"
28 or a way to reset a password (some pins on the
29 motherboard).
30
31 > Don't know whether all BIOSes will allow this,
32 > and anyway, isn't it possible on a lot of motherboards to short out
33 > the EPROM and thus reset the password of the BIOS?
34
35 Yes.
36
37 Alexander Skwar
38 --
39 Hey Satan, didja hear the news? A war just broke out up on earth.
40
41 Meet Saddam Hussein, my new partner in evil.
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list