From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] trouble starting bash
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:34:52
1 Greetings,
2
3 This morning, all of the sudden, I'm encountering process creation
4 problems. The problems seem to affect only bash. There are no problems
5 starting X applications like firefox and open office.
6
7 FWIW, my usual "update world" was done yesterday (and emerged the
8 packages listed at the end of this message).
9
10 Anybody have suggestions regarding the symptoms given below?
11
12 Regards,
13
14 David
15
16 ### symptoms ###
17
18 Attempting to start a new terminal session from an existing terminal
19 session (using ctrl-shft-N).
20
21 There was an error creating the child process for this terminal
22
23 and a terminal window without a prompt (not running bash??) The same
24 message and window appear when I try to start one from the GNOME menu.
25
26 From emacs, running the shell command produces the following message
27 (and a usable shell window):
28
29 bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Invalid argument
30 bash: no job control in this shell
31
32 ssh into box gives:
33
34 PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
35
36 Neither dmesg nor /var/log/messages has any unusual messages
39 ### recently emerged packages ###
40
41 app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.14
42 app-text/poppler-0.12.3-r3