From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:44:57
1 On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Alarig Le Lay <alarig@××××××××××.fr> wrote:
2 > On Wed Aug 31 08:47:11 2016, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> Have you considered using cloud storage for the files instead? That also
4 >> gives you the option of version control with some services.
5 >
6 > Seriously, why cloud? The Cloud is basically a marketing term that
7 > define “Internet, like before, but cooler”, so it’s just someone else
8 > computer. I think that almost everybody here have more than on computer,
9 > or at least more than one hard disk drive. So… Why not using it? You
10 > will know who own your data.
11
12 It might have something to do with the fact that cloud services at
13 least run backups of their servers.
14
15 I'd be the first to agree that it is possible to do a better job
16 yourself at providing the sorts of services you find on dropbox,
17 google drive, lastpass, and so on. However, the reality is that most
18 people don't actually do a better job with it, which is why I see the
19 occassional post on Facebook about how some relative lost all their
20 files when their hard drive crashed, or when some ransomware came
21 along. Most who have "backups" just have a USB hard drive with some
22 software that came with it, which is probably always mounted.
23
24 If you know how to professionally manage a server, then sure, feel
25 free to DIY. Though, you might be surprised at how many people who do
26 know how to professionally manage servers still use cloud services.
27 The plethora of clients make them convenient for some things (though I
28 always back them up). And I store all my important backups encrypted
29 on S3 (I don't care if they lose them as long as it isn't on the same
30 day that I need them, and if they want to try to data mine files that
31 have gone through gpg I wish them good luck).
34 Rich