From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GnuPG depends on gentoo-sources?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:05:46
1 On Thursday 09 February 2006 16:40, Ron Bickers
2 <rbickers-list-gentoo-user@××××××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] GnuPG
3 depends on gentoo-sources?':
4 > I haven't had gentoo-sources installed on one of my machines for a
5 > while, but all of sudden today it wants to install it. I masked it and
6 > emerge -u world complains that it's required by
7 > "app-crypt/gnupg-1.4.2-r3", which is already installed.
8
9 I just checked the .ebuild in my portage tree does not list gentoo-sources
10 as direct dependency of gunpg-1.4.2.r3. Please do a emerge -pvt
11 =app-crypt/gnupg-1.4.2-r3 and give us the output (you might have to unmask
12 gentoo-sources for a bit to give us good output).
13
14 The --tree option is very useful for determining why a package is being
15 brought in, esp. in conjunction with --verbose which shows the use flags
16 in effect for the merge.
17
18 > So why does it need gentoo-sources all of a sudden for a package that's
19 > already installed?
20
21 Wild, unfounded guessing follows:
22 ---------------------------------
23
24 I'm betting that something actually depends on virtual/os-sources or
25 somesuch, you don't have any *other* package installed that provides that
26 virtual, and your profile lists gentoo-sources as the default provider of
27 the virtual.
28
29 You are probably trying to use your own, possibly custom-patched, kernel
30 instead of any of the *-sources packages. You should either write and
31 ebuild for your sources, indicating that they provide that virtual, and
32 put it in your overlay OR use package.provided to state that you will
33 manually satisfy virtual/os-sources.
34
35 The first is more labor-intensive right now, but will keep allowing portage
36 to track the virtual, in case your switch to using one of the provided
37 *-sources in the future.
40 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
41 bss03@××××××××××.com
42 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy