From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] advice for an ipod-like device?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:47:06
1 On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:36:00PM +0000, b.n. wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'd like to have an Ipod-like mp3 player, something with at least 4-8
5 > Gbyte of storage.
6 >
7 > To avoid any compatibility issue, I'd like something that works just
8 > like most USB-pen mp3 players (mine included): I stick it in my PC, I
9 > download files on it, it plays the audio files I downloaded on it.
10 >
11 > The ability to read .ogg files would be a plus.
12 >
13 > What is your advice?
14 >
15 > Thank you,
16 >
17 > m.
18
19 If you value ogg compatibility, I suggest http://www.jetaudio.com/
20 I own a M3, it was 30 dollars cheaper than the equivalent iPod (in
21 terms of storage size) when I bought it, and has served me well.
22
23 the JetAudio/iAudio also has a considerable linux userbase, AFAIK,
24 (almost) all their products can be mounted as USB mass storage
25 devices, and firmware upgrades requires copying a file to the right
26 directory on the device. They also have nice user forums, where the
27 company would post instructions (like a miniHOWTO for updating
28 firmware using linux and such).
29
30 HTH,
31
32 W
33 --
34 I just got a physical and asked, "Well Doc, how do I stand?"
35 He said, "That's what is puzzling me."
36 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 4 days, 14:46
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list