From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:34:56
1 On Dec 25, 2012 10:44 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 > Merry Christmas to all.
5 >
6 > Upgrading an external USB2 drive at home this Christmas morning to
7 > 1TB for more video storage space. One large partition, non-raid, files
8 > are around 1GB. The drive holds only static video files that get
9 > written once and don't change or get erased. No MythTV stuff or
10 > anything like that.
11 >
12 > This disk reside on my main desktop machine and gets backed up
13 > every couple of days to another USB2 drive (FAT formatted
14 > unfortunately) which attaches to the TV.
15 >
16 > With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
17 > I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
18 >
19 > Cheers,
20 > Mark
23 For your usage, I think ext3 is the most suitable.
24
25 Do you have another fs in mind?
26
27 Rgds,