From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running a program on a headless computer ?
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:46:29
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [14-09-28 20:44]:
2 > On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:13:51 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > I want to run programs, which insist on haveing a terminal
5 > > to write their status to and which are writing files which
6 > > their results on a headless computer (beaglebone).
7 > >
8 > > I tried things like
9 > >
10 > > my_program -o file.txt -parameter value > /dev/null &2>&1 &
11 > >
12 > > but this results in a idle copy of this process and a defunct
13 > > child.
14 >
15 > nohup may do what you want.
16 >
17 > Or you can do it with at, if atd is running
18 >
19 > echo "my_program -o file.txt -parameter value" | at now
22 > --
23 > Neil Bothwick
24 >
25 > A wok is what you throw at a wabbit.
26
27 Hi all,
28
29 first of all: Thanks a lot for all offered help and the various
30 suggested method to acchieve what I wanted... :)
31
32 Since the device I use is an embedded system (Beaglebone black) memory
33 consumption of the software is more important as it is on a fully
34 blown PC...
35
36 The 'nohup' method works for me like a charm! And it is straight
37 forward and uses less memory.
38
39 Best regards,
40 mcc