From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Does Firefox call Google?
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:02:57
1 On 09/23/2009 05:16 AM, Grant wrote:
2 >>>>> Does Firefox periodically make Google requests for
3 >>>>> some reason? The person logging in says they aren't attempting to
4 >>>>> access Google, and the home page is not set to go there. Does anyone
5 >>>>> know why this might be happening?
6 >>>>
7 >>>> If you haven’t disabled it, Firefox periodically downloads a current list
8 >>>> of
9 >>>> malware addresses for its phising filter.
10 >>>
11 >>> Thank you. Is this the checkbox: "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is
12 >>> a suspected attack site."
13 >>
14 >> Two options, in the "Security" tab:
15 >>
16 >> "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries."
17 >
18 > BTW, Firefox asks Google for the lists right?
19
20 Yes. This is what Google says:
21
22 http://code.google.com/apis/safebrowsing/firefox3_privacy.html
23
24 "your browser will contact Google's servers when you visit a potentially
25 risky site. It will also periodically contact Google's servers to
26 download the most recent list of known phishing and malware sites"