From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: udev hanging
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 23:19:39
1 On 05/17/2015 10:59 PM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 >> On 05/14/2015 10:56 PM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
4 >>> I have an amd64 system with an old 3.3.x kernel. Recently (I think after
5 >>> last udev update to 217) the boot process became very slow due to "udev
6 >>> waiting for uevents to populate /dev". After a minute or so udev prints
7 >>> something about a lazy device (a TV tuner) then the boot continues.
8 >>>
9 >>> Yesterday I tried to update the kernel to 4.0.2...
10 >>
11 >> That kernel version is marked ~amd64 (unstable/testing). Are you accepting
12 >> the ~amd64 keyword in your make.conf? If you ask for help in this group you
13 >> should include that info as part of your question. You'll get better answers
14 >> if you do.
15 >>
16 >> Just as important in the last year or so is whether you are using systemd or
17 >> openrc at boot time.
18 >>
19 >> Life never gets simpler over time :(
22 > :-[ You're right, that was not a very good request from my side.
23 >
24 > System is ~amd64, openrc, udev 219. Rebuilding the kernel with lots of
25 > changes the boot completed at least once. Now it still hangs in the same
26 > stage while waiting the NVIDIA video driver instead of the TV tuner
27 > driver. But pressing CTRL-C it continues without loading the faulty
28 > driver and at least I'm able to continue debugging.
29 >
30 > So the udev hang is in reality an NVIDIA driver problem, so that's what
31 > I'm working on now.
32 >
33 > Anyway I do have the impression that udev keeps a state somewhere,
34 > because more than once it happened that on first boot with new kernel it
35 > worked fine, starting from the second boot it had the 'waiting for
36 > uevents' problem. I tried to delete /etc/udev/hwdb.bin but it didn't change.
37
38 Just a random idea: gentoo "udev" is now installed by the virtual/udev package.
39
40 IIUC, the udev virtual package may install different "real" packages, depending
41 on whether you are using openrc or systemd.
42
43 My reply may give you no real help, but it may attract attention from the real
44 brains of this mailing list, who probably can give you the solid advice you need.