From: Winston Messer <whmesser@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UDP traffic?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:59:23
1 >> What is the game? I think that's the most important information you
2 >> could give.
5 > Sorry. The game is StarCraft with the add-on BroodWar.
9 > Thanks for the info!
10 >
11 > Cheers,
12 > Mark
13
14 Mark, I run BroodWar on my Gentoo laptop and it runs like greased magic.
15
16 I will however say that if the _game_ connected to the net to get the
17 update (that is to say, through the battle.net interface), then it's
18 probably incorrectly patched. Using the in-game updater has been known
19 to break the game on linux. You might try reinstalling the game and
20 getting the update from the website instead. This worked for me.
21
22 I use the game to play online games, but I haven't used the LAN function
23 of it to play on my local network, so this is a shot in the dark. You
24 might however, try starting Samba, in case it uses it for name
25 resolution or something.
26
27 Also, when you go to the multiplayer menu, are you clicking "LAN (IPX)"
28 or "LAN (UDP)." You want to make sure you use the same one on your
29 linux and your windows machines. If one doesn't work, try the other.
30 You may need to enable IPX support or something, but I really don't know
31 much about IPX on Linux.
32
33 Winston
34 --