From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 13:49:15
1 On Sunday, 19 July 2020 09:48:35 CEST Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
3 >
4 > On Saturday, July 18, 2020 11:13 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 wrote:
6 > > This is not a GUI
7 >
8 > xterm is GUI. you don't need to click on gtk/qt
9 > widgets to access details of password entries.
10 > gtk/qt is a massive overkill.
11
12 Please check the meaning of " GUI " and try to answer my statement again.
13
14 > > This makes portability a problem. Exactly why keepass (and clones) are
15 > > used more.
16 >
17 > compatibility with keepassxc is extremely
18 > overrated. it's easy to port nsapass to
19 > windows/apple (may even work out of the box,
20 > didn't try).
21
22 Compatibility with "keepass" (keepassxc is already a different tool/clone) is
23 important and makes it simpler to use the same database on different
24 environments.
25 You might be happy with a simplistic database that only stores a few
26 passwords. I tend to deal with passwords that are shared within teams because
27 the hardware involved only supports a single account. This makes tools like
28 keepass important.
29
30 > > Nice, a full detailed list of every single change to your passwords :)
31 >
32 > no. how do you backup your passwords file?
33 > dropbox? flash disk? it's up to you. this is
34 > unrelated to the passwords manager.
35
36 Actually, the more copies with changes to your passwords there are, the easier
37 it will be to guess your passwords.
38
39 And no, I do not use dropbox, I use a secure filestore for this.
40
41 > > The likes of NSA don't actually care about your (dis)approval.
42 >
43 > no one does. not unique to nsa. people
44 > exaggerate nsa as if they are any better.
45 >
46 > tbh, nsa is even better than most of our
47 > neighbours. if our phones fall in the hands of
48 > our neighbours, next day most people will find
49 > themselves in pornhub. but nsa can get it all,
50 > and yet they still didn't leak it to pornhub (at
51 > least not as much).
52
53 No, they leak it to the press and wikileaks.
54
55 --
56 Joost