From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Git change logs
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:43:28
1 On Monday, 29 November 2021 16:32:45 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 11:17 AM Peter Humphrey
3 <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > # (cd /var/db/repos/gentoo/sys-devel/gcc && git whatchanged)
5 >
6 > You'd get just as much output from git log - you didn't restrict the
7 > output so it ran on the entire repository. The current working
8 > directory has no impact on the function of either git log or git
9 > whatchanged.
10
11 See what I mean about counter-intuitive?
12
13 > You could append a . to just run git whatchanged on the current
14 > directory. I run "git whatchanged ." all the time.
15
16 Thanks. I will. But how do I find the real change log of a package? The sort of
17 stuff I used to include in a software release bulletin when I was running the
18 show. What has changed, and why? What fault reports have been closed? What
19 new behaviour can be expected?
20
21 > > I've always found git counter-intuitive and I've resisted trying to
22 > > understand it, so far. Maybe I should make a little more effort.
23 >
24 > IMO time spent understanding git is highly rewarded. It isn't going
25 > anywhere.
26 >
27 > I've heard it said that git is a data model masquerading as an SCM,
28 > and that is very accurate. If you don't understand how it works
29 > you're going to be fighting it.
30 >
31 > I get that you shouldn't have to know how the data model works to use
32 > a piece of software, but git runs pretty close to the metal. Sure,
33 > you can always just copy/paste some one-liner that you read on a
34 > website, but you're always going to feel like you're wrestling it.
35 > Linus basically built it for himself and a handful of people like him,
36 > and it shows. It is very powerful, but it is a bit like trying to use
37 > binutils without wanting to know what an ELF is.
38
39 :)
42 Regards,
43 Peter.