From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Sudden XP death
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:17:34
1 On Saturday 22 December 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > Trying to set up vmware, unfortunately the PC dies
5 > suddenly after booting WinXP. XP boots OK but anywhere
6 > between a couple of seconds to about 5 mins afterwards
7 > without any warning the PC simply shuts itself off.
8 > And when it reboots it doesn't complain about a sudden
9 > shutdown, just churns merrily along for a few moments
10 > then, clunk, the PC stops cold.
11 >
12 > This is a fresh install of XP SP1 with nothing added
13 > except for the (native)9250 ATI drivers. It hasn't
14 > even been on line yet, so it's not a virus.
15 >
16 > It's on sda1, which was freshly formatted NTFS; the
17 > rest of the drive is given over to gentoo which works
18 > fine.
19 >
20 > Be interested to hear from anyone else this has ever
21 > happened to.
22 >
23 > Maxim
24
25 Do you mean the host PC shutsdown? And by sda1, do you mean you're installing
26 to a NTFS partition and not to a virtual hard disk? Do I understand right
27 that the installation of XP went OK but booting fails? Or are you trying to
28 boot an installed XP from vmware?
29
30 Anyway, my experience with such sudden failures were usually linked to either
31 processor heat or Power Supply being not strong enough. But it was never
32 linked to vmware.
33
34 Thierry
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list