From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portable Gentoo (Pen Drive Linux)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:00:28
1 On 22-Mar-2014 5:42 pm, "Brian Hesdorfer" <zerophnx@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On 3/21/2014 9:53 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> Since I don't have a laptop, I'm thinking of installing Gentoo on my
9 >> USB 3 pen drive. I'll use binpkgs from my desktop so that pen drive
10 >> lives long.
11 >>
12 >> Has anybody tried Samsung's F2FS? I heard it performs better than the
13 >> traditional ext4/xfs/etc on flash drives.
14 >>
15 >> Also the pen drive will be used on random hardware (which can be a
16 >> laptop or a desktop), so what else do I need to consider other than
17 >> using genkernel's default configuration (the livecd config, which
18 >> enables all modules)?
21 > FWIW, I've been F2FS plus encryption with Arch and haven't had any
22 problems. I'd suggest having anything important backed up somewhere else
23 since it's still seen as experimental (I think).
26 Of course. Pen drives are as such not very reliable, so backups are a must.
27
28 > If you're using it on random hardware and want X, you'll have to include
29 the variety of video cards you might run into (Intel, ATI, Nvidia) in your
30 USE flags.
33 Will it work out the box without configuration?
34
35 > Also, be wary of the predictable naming for network interfaces (enp5s0,
36 enp9s2,etc). You might want to disable that feature using something like
37 "net.ifnames=0" in your bootloader or a udev rule so you can just set eth0
38 to DHCP and it will work on most machines.
41 NetworkManager helps with that, or may be just run dhcpcd.