From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoolkit-0.2.1 stable on x86
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:49:30
1 All:
2
3 As I type this gentoolkit-0.2.1 has been marked stable on x86 and I
4 expect it to be marked stable on other architectures in the next few
5 days.
6
7 Here is a summary of the major changes between gentoolkit-0.2.0 and
8 gentoolkit-0.2.1. A detailed listing of the changes are
9 in /usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-0.2.1/ChangeLog
10
11 * eclean
12
13 Added eclean utility for cleaning out your distfiles and Packages
14 directories.
15
16 Sample usage to remove distfiles for packages no longer installed on
17 your system:
18
19 eclean-dist --destructive --fetch-restricted ----time-limit=1w
20
21 --destructive means to delete files for older version of installed
22 packages. The default is to leave all source files for an installed
23 package
24 --fetch-restricted means to not delete files that are fetch-restricted
25 --time-limit means to not delete files newer than the time specified
26
27 eclean also supports excluding specific packages and categories through
28 the use of an exclusion file. Please read man eclean for more details.
29
30 * revdep-rebuild
31 Updated revdep-rebuild to be more configurable by the user. One of the
32 major complaints about revdep-rebuild is that is always wants to rebuild
33 certain binary packages. For example openoffice-bin,
34 mozilla-firefox-bin, etc. The main variable that users will potentially
35 want to modify is SEARCH_DIRS_MASK. You can modify this variable either
36 in your environment or by placing it in /etc/make.conf.
37
38 For example to ensure that revdep-rebuild doesn't look in /opt you can
39 add the line SEARCH_DIRS_MASK="/opt" to /etc/make.conf and
40 revdep-rebuild will not search that directory.
41
42 Removed the hard-coded paths of directories to search and dynamically
43 generate the list using the path from /etc/profile and /etc/ld.so.conf.
44 This means that as you install packages, revdep-rebuild will normally
45 automatically pick up any paths that have been added by the package.
46
47 Read man revdep-rebuild for more information on the updated
48 revdep-rebuild.
49
50 Finally, as much as I would like it, revdep-rebuild is not infallible.
51 There are still open bugs and it can still miss things.
52
53 * equery
54 Many fixes to equery to make it more usable. The major fix was fixing an
55 issue that caused it to be extremely slow and memory hungry. However,
56 even with that fix, equery is not the fastest program on the block. If
57 the lack of speed bothers you, I would recommend investigating the
58 app-portage/portage-utils package.
59
60 If you have any questions on the new gentoolkit, feel free to ask here
61 on gentoo-user and I will answer them provided another user doesn't beat
62 me to it :)
63
64 Regards,
65 Paul