From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Threads changing Was: OT: website design
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 22:55:00
1 David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 22:10:02 +0200, Dale wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
4 > Threads changing Was: OT: website design:
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >>Well, something works now. This is threaded as it should be. So,
8 >>whatever you are doing, keep doing it that away. lol
9 >>
10 >>I don't want you to think I was upset or anything. I just went back
11 >>and noticed you was one of the ones that it was breaking the threads
12 >>on.
13 >
14 > Not a problem. In fact, it is not I (or Indi) who is causing the
15 > breakage.
16 >
17 > A little further investigation has shown that the Message-ID: line of
18 > all message posted through the Gentoo list server is rewritten,
19 > regardless of its initial value. This is why correctly posted messages
20 > have the Bastard Operator From Hell designation: the domain name of
21 > Gentoo's list server is bofh.it. This also means that those who read
22 > this list's messages via email will always see a valid Message-ID: line.
23 >
24 > Now, one other possible cause of message id mismatch is people posting
25 > directly to Usenet as well as through the list server. All NNTP
26 > servers should have the newsgroup that is a reflection of this mailing
27 > list marked as "no posting allowed"; certainly
28 > news.eternal-september.org is configured that way. However, if a
29 > misposted message gets through from another Usenet-registered NNTP
30 > server, I will see it with the alternate Message-ID: line, not the one
31 > generated by the Gentoo list server. It is messages such as this that
32 > cause the breakage in threads when somebody (anybody) reading through
33 > an NNTP server posts a follow-up to such a message.
34 >
35 > So, when you see a breakage in a message thread, it is the message that
36 > is the tail-end of the original thread that is causing the breakage,
37 > not the message that apparently starts the new thread.
38 >
39 > I hope all is clear now.
40
41 ... as mud!
42
43 This reply of yours (unlike your previous) is shown as a new thread in
44 Knode, not as a threaded reply to Dale's message. :@
45
46 PS. I'm responding using Knode and news.gmane.org as an NNTP server, to see
47 what difference this may make.
48 --
49 Regards,
50 Mick