From: Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/conf.d/net
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:51:59
1 On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 01:52 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 060819 David Corbin wrote:
3 > > I emerged a bunch of stuff this morning, and got this:
4 > > "Gentoo is moving toward common config file for all network interfaces.
5 > > I looked at /etc/conf.d/net.example & it's woefully unclear
6 > > how I port my /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 to the new file/format.
7 >
8 > Yes, the dox are not as detailed as they sb.
9 > To repeat my explanation to another troubled user a few weeks ago :
10
11 Philip,
12
13 Docs on /etc/conf.d/net are about as clear as mud from where I sit. The
14 last thing I need to figure out is what exactly is the difference
15 between config_eth0 and iface_eth0 entries?
16
17 config_eth0 simply does not work for me at all - if the net cable is not
18 plugged in, dhcp takes 60 seconds to time out.
19 But iface_eth0 realizes in less than a second that there is no network
20 cable and does the smart thing.
21
22 I once found a note in some other obscure doc that iface_eth0 seems to
23 be the syntax for ifconfig, while config_eth0 seems to be for iproute2.
24 Can anyone confirm or deny this?
25
26 alan
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list