From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive AHCI versus RAID setting in BIOS?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 07:53:39
1 On Saturday, 5 June 2021 08:32:47 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 22:10:10 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > > I always boot system rescue and dd the entries drive to somewhere
4 > > > safe. That way I restore the original setup in the case of a warranty
5 > > > claim - unless the failure is that bad that I can't boot or access
6 > > > the disk.
7 > > >
8 > > a) The drive is one terabyte in size.
9 >
10 > Most of is empty, the drives always compress to a lot less.
11 >
12 > > b) Yes, Mr. Dell Support, I bought the machine 6 months ago and I've
13 > >
14 > > been websurfing, Youtubing, etc ever since. And Windows Home has not
15 > > forced an update all that time.
16 >
17 > That would be difficult but no evidence of any evil doing, such as
18 > installing Linux. However, I'm more concerned about an earlier failure,
19 > if it lasts six months it should last six years.
20
21 Back to the original question:
22
23 I've not had a Dell with this option yet, but I understand Dell uses RAID with
24 NVMe drives because it allows Intel RST drivers to work with most/all NVMe
25 drives. I'm not sure if any of the Dell onboard software to restore the Win10
26 OS also depend on this. Once you initialize the OS I think you won't be able
27 to run it in a different mode.
28
29 http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/why-does-dell-set-the-bios-to-raid-always.832016/
30
31 However, I've seen it mentioned in various places Linux will not be able to
32 see the drive if RAID is selected - I don't know if this is still the case.
33
34 https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Pros-Cons-AHCI-vs-Raid-On-XPS13-9300-NVMe/
35 td-p/7636984