From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drives not detected in repeatable order.
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:50:15
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2011-10-04, Michael A. Koerber <mak@××××××.edu> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have found that use of LABEL=FOO in /etc/fstab doesn't always solve
5 >> the problem of disks being reassigned during boot.
6 >
7 > That's because fstab isn't used during boot.  What "root=" setting is
8 > passed to your kernel by your bootloader?  Is that using /dev/sda1 or
9 > a label?  In order to use a label, I _think_ you need some special magic
10 > in an initrd (at least that used to be the case according to what I've
11 > googled).
12
13 There is something on the gentoo wiki about doing it in an initramfs:
14
15 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs#UUID.2FLABEL_Root_Mounting
16
17 (I've never tried it)