From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers not seeing symbol font
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 06:35:43
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 >>> 2. Character encodings are easy: use Unicode. :)
6 >>> http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html
7 >>
8 >> Yes they're easy.  My question is about whether they have any effect
9 >> on use of Symbol  So far I see no evidence of it.
10 >
11 > Okay, now I realize "Symbol" is the name of a specific font. I hadn't
12 > really picked up on that before :)
13 >
14 > After a bit of Googling, it seems the accepted solution is to use HTML
15 > entities for those symbols and not try to use the raw characters as
16 > you are attempting to do.
17 >
18 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references
19 >
20 > Does that contain all of the symbols you need? If there are any
21 > others, you should be able to use the unicode versions.
22
23 Sigh. My stuff is not for a mass audience. I can expect them to
24 install a font,
25 and I'd really not like to be fooling with entities that much -- composition is
26 laborious. It's really annoying to me to have a font on my own system that
27 is inacessable through browser features that were apparently designed to
28 allow just that.
29
30 And Unicode is a complete mystery to me. I see stuff come in and display
31 as it should, but as an author it's just something I've never used. How do
32 you compose such stuff on a standard US-English keyboard and system?
33
34 I'll do what I have to do, but only when I'm convinced it's the best
35 alternative.
36
37 ++ kevin
40 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD