From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:34:33
1 On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 17:23 +0000, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Jeff wrote:
3 > > Hey guys.
4 > >
5 > > I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard drive
6 > > to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not sure
7 > > what the command would be.
8 [snip]
9 > >
10 > > So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then archived on
11 > > the destination machine.
12 > >
13 > tar -zcf - /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com "( cat > data.info.gz )"
14 >
15 > something similar, probably is possible to avoid the use of cat bat
16 > don't came in mind at the moment
17
18 wow, I am quite blown away - not only at the fact that I just tried the
19 above command (and it worked of course) but also that I've found a new
20 way of doing something that I never thought of before.
21
22 This is one to remember!
23
24 (now, if only I'd backed up yesterday, before I did an accidental `rm *`
25 instead of `rm *~`)
26 --
27 Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>
28
29 It's not? Are you saying that you SHOULD allow people (other than William
30 Wallace) to shoot lightning bolts from their arse?
31 -- Seth Galbraith
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list