From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emacs font problem
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:22:49
1 On 2010-07-13, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 >>> 2. The name you give "Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1"
4 >>> looks to be just the suffix did you mean something like
5 >>> "-unknown-DejaVu Sans-normal...". You don't need to have DejaVu,
6 >>> but I would advise getting either DejaVu or bitstream vera.
7 >>
8 >> OK, I've figured out that I do have both dejavu and bitstream vera
9 >> fonts installed (but they weren't on the font path). Now "DejaVu
10 >> Sans" does work. The problem is that emacs wants a font with a family
11 >> name of "Sans Serif", and none of the installed fonts provide a family
12 >> with that name.
13 >
14 > That is funny since I don't do anything and it just works
15 > (DejaVu is a family I think).
16 > Indeed my default font is DejaVu Sans Mono.
17 > The last "u" above gives the output below for C-U C-x =
18 >
19 > Did you build emacs with xft support?
20
21 No. I did rebuild emacs with xft support, but I had already manually
22 done the "customize-face" for "variable-pitch", so I don't know if xft
23 support would have fixed the problem or not (I imagine it probably
24 would have, since that's what the lisp code in faces.el seems to
25 imply).
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Why are these athletic
29 at shoe salesmen following
30 gmail.com me??