From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with KDE?
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 09:58:58
1 On Saturday, 3 November 2018 22:44:32 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, 3 November 2018 16:28:58 GMT wabe wrote:
4 > >> I would like to try Trinity Desktop (based on KDE3) but unfortunately
5 > >> there is no Gentoo package. I don't know if there is an Gentoo overlay
6 > >> containing Trinity, but I never used overlays and don't have time to
7 > >> fiddle around anyway.
8 > >
9 > > In that case, from what I've seen I'd say you shouldn't even wonder about
10 > > trinity. You'd have to go back a long way with all manner of programs, and
11 > > even then perhaps not get everything you want.
12 > >
13 > > /2p
14 >
15 > I installed KDE3 for a friend with a very low powered computer several
16 > years ago. At the time, it was in the sunset overlay. Even then it was
17 > a headache and took some effort to install. Some newer programs outside
18 > of KDE wanted newer versions of libs and KDE3 wanted older ones. I had
19 > to install older versions of several programs just to make KDE3 happy.
20 > Given the changes that have been made over the years since, I doubt it
21 > is doable. I seem to recall that KDE3 wasn't well maintained back then
22 > and figure it may even be worse now if it is maintained at all with
23 > regards to Gentoo.
24 >
25 > If had to do a install today for a low powered system, I'd find
26 > something besides KDE3 even tho I still miss some things about it too.
27 > There's plenty of more maintained desktops out there to look at.
28 >
29 > Dale
30 >
31 > :-) :-)
32
33 I also liked KDE-3 more than anything which succeeded it from the KDE stable
34 and have mourned its passing. I also particularly liked Konqueror's
35 integration with file management. The current Konqueror maintainer is trying
36 single-handedly to keep it running as a simple browser and does not have the
37 (human) resources to recreate the FM functionality of KDE 3 on it. He has
38 asked for devs to join him, but had no takers.
39
40 I've tried Trinity in the past, but at the time it was nowhere near developed
41 enough to use on a daily basis.
44 Regards,
45 Mick