From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: lembark@×××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-user] X11 fails to start up after elogind emerge
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 21:13:29
1 Starting with:
2
3 <2020-04-14 Desktop profile switching USE default to elogind>
4 <https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-06-24-xorg-server-dropping-default-suid.html>
5
6 I've updated my USE with:
7
8 elogind -consolekit -systemd
9
10 Did an "emerge --update --changed-use @world", rebooted, logged
11 in, had problems starting X11, did an "emerge @x11-module-rebuild",
12 reboot, login, failed starting X11, did an "emerge @world" [which
13 succeeded, strangely enough], reboot, login, failed starting X11.
14
15 At this point I reboot, log in and validate the elogind but get:
16
17 $ logincel user-status;
18 Could not get properties: Is a directory
19
20 Using strace shows the last open was looking at /proc/self/stat,
21 which most definately is a file. The last thing logind was doing
22 is a ppoll & recvmsg with the nastygram:
23
24 <https://pastebin.com/vZzWCHKL>
25
26 Another thing is that using "startx", Xorg.log includes the line:
27
28 systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and
29 -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration.
30
31 Not sure if this is related to the properties error or something
32 else blowing up.
33
34 emerge --info:
35
36 <https://pastebin.com/Y0FVLLve>
37
38 emerge --verbose --info:
39
40 <https://pastebin.com/LDfH4wz5>
41
42 Running startx as SU does not solve the issue, the user is already
43 in tty and input groups (i.e., has access to /dev/tty* and
44 /dev/input/{event,mouse}*).
45
46 Q: Any suggestions on what I might do to get X11 starting again?
47
48 Thanks
51 Steven Lembark
52 Workhorse Computing