From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] sound on intel imac
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:01:37
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a 20 inch aluminum imac:
4
5 uname -a
6 Linux pyrope 2.6.30-gentoo-r5 #9 SMP Sat Nov 14 14:04:55 NST 2009 x86_64
7 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
8
9 The sound card is listed by lspci as:
10
11 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
12 Controller (rev 03)
13
14 cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 says
15
16 Codec: Realtek ALC889A
17
18 I'm using the in-kernel alsa drivers. I have tried compiling into the
19 kernel and as modules. I cannot get any output from speakers or
20 headphone. (Yes, I have run alsamixer and un-muted everything).
21
22 I have looked around using google and problems with the ALC889A codec
23 seem common. I tried some of the suggested fixes, like setting
24 model=whatever to the kernel snd-intel-hda module. Nothing I have tried
25 has worked. I know the sound system is functioning because it works in
26 OSX.
27
28 If anyone here has any suggestions or knows for sure that the sound
29 system on these machines cannot be made to work in Gentoo it would be
30 useful to find out before I waste more time on it.
31
32 Thanks,
33 Roger