From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] external USB harddrive
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:38:41
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: James Lockie [mailto:bjlockie@××××××.ca]
3 > Sent: 04 January 2007 05:28
4 > To: Gentoo User Mailing List
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] external USB harddrive
8 > Does anyone have one of these? :-)
9 > It mounts when I connect it but a user can't unmount it.
10 > My USB memory stick and USB card reader work fine.
11 > It is only the hard drive that I can't unmount as a user.
12 > I don't have or want an /etc/fstab entry for it, I should be able to
13 > configure KDE to handle it.
14 >
15 > --
16 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
19 I would add it to fstab (I reckon this would be the easiest way) - the same fstab entry should work for USB memory sticks/card readers as well, to my knowledge.
20
21 Or if you wanted to get really fancy I believe you could write a udev rule so it recognises that device and assigns it /dev/externalhdd or the like :)
22
23 David
24 Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this list.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list