From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python 2.7 removal : problem with Firefox + Spidermonkey
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 20:27:44
1 On 8/2/20 6:22 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 01, 2020 at 11:08:47PM -0400, james wrote
3 >> On 8/1/20 12:10 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> So a "palemoon-bin" ebuild is possible. But is it necessary? If
6 >>> you pull down and extract the precompiled tarball to your home dir, it
7 >>> can be set to check for, and do, updates (as long as you have write
8 >>> permission to the Pale Moon directory). No need for portage to do it.
9 >>
10 >> Further security ideas with palemoon are of keen interest to me too. A
11 >> set of local security testing tools/semantics etc etc would be useful;
12 >> pointers to existing security tools are keen appreciated too.
13 >
14 > The best security advice for the average user is to keep up with the
15 > latest updates.
16
17 yep yep yep.
18
19 > See http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml for an
20 > idea of feature updates and security and bug fixes with each release.
21 > To keep up-to-date *ON AN OFFICIAL BINARY* follow the menu tree...
22 >
23 > Tools ==> Preferences ==> Advanced ==> Update
26 NICE.
30 > ..and select the appropriate option. See
31 > http://www.palemoon.org/support/prefs-advanced-update for an explanation.
32 > If you install the official binary manually in your home dir (or
33 > anywhere else you have write permission), Pale Moon can do in-place
34 > updates. If you do it "the official Portage way") the installed files
35 > will end up somewhere in /usr/ and you, as regular user, cannot
36 > authorize the update. Since you're talking about security, I assume
37 > you're not browsing as root.
38
39 never.
43 > Another thing to note is that the Pale Moon devs are currently
44 > "de-unifying the source". This means that over time, manual builds will
45 > take longer and longer to compile, especially on older machines with low
46 > ram. Unifying source speeds up compile-time, but... large monolithic
47 > source files make bugs and error messages a lot harder to track down.
48 > Run-time performance is not affected.
49
50 All of my "old amd64" systems have 32 G of ram. I'm evaluating which
51 cluster technology to use all (3) on compiles. But with the use of the
52 GPU soon to be practical on Gentoo, maybe that times(3) cluster will not
53 be needed? Except on big compile days......
56 > tldr; the quickest/dirtiest/securest way to deal with Pale Moon (e.g.
57 > for 64-bit) is...
58 >
59 > mkdir $HOME/pm
60 > cd $HOME/pm
61 > #
62 > # Download the official tarball from http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
63 > #
64 > # Stop Pale Moon and "uninstall" and extract
65 > killall palemoon
66 > rm -rf palemoon
67 > tar xf <tarball_file_name>
68 >
69 > ..and point your program launcher to
70 >
71 > $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon ${*}
72
73 very cool.
76 > If you want to get fancy and run multiple profiles simultaneously you
77 > can pass commandline parameters like...
78 >
79 > $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p 680_news
80 > $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p covid
81 > $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p dslr
82 > $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p slashdot
83 > $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p youtube
84 >
85 > Note that these profiles have to already exist. To launch the profile
86 > manager to enable profile creation...
87 >
88 > $HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p
89 >
90 > Multiple profiles have advantages...
91 >
92 > 1) You can get multiple specified webpages to open up on startup that
93 > are related to one item. Hint; In "Tools ==> Preferences ==> General"
94 > you can set "Home Page" like so...
95 >
96 > http://bad.example.com | ftp://blah.blah.blah.com | https://youtube.com
97
98 Nice.
101 > ..etc, etc. Multiple webpages are separated by {SPACE} {PIPE} {SPACE}.
102 > I've got some really long lines on one or two profiles.
103 >
104 > 2) 3rd-party cookies in one profile cannot be accessed by webpages in
105 > another profile. This reduces the effectiveness of tracking.
106
107 Kinda been suspecting this, great to get verification.
110 > 3) Add-ons only apply to the profile they're downloaded to. The only
111 > one I use is ANM "Advanced Night Mode"
112 > https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/advanced-night-mode/
113 > Some webpages are run by idiot webmasters who set "low contrast" fonts
114 > to something bordering on...
115 > FONT FOREGROUND #FEFEFE
116 > FONT BACKGROUND #FFFFFF
117 >
118 > ANM cures that by forcing white text on black background. This
119 > add-on is specific to Pale Moon. The add-on works only in profile(s)
120 > it's downloaded to, so sane webpages can be left alone. Actually, even
121 > sane webpages sometimes look better with ANM.
124 Thanks Walter, for all of the palemoon info. I'm putting up a gentoo
125 test system for such (palemoon) excursions.
128 James