From: "Sieb
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Question about 2006.0 and order of NIC detection
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:46:33
1 Hi everyone!
2
3 Relatively new to Gentoo. Been more of a FreeBSD guy the past few years, but current job is setting up Gentoo boxes, so I get to learn a bunch of new stuff (yay!).
4
5 Machine in question has an Intel gig-E PCI card (e1000 driver) and two Tigron gig-E ports built into the motherboard (tg3 driver).
6
7 So, I downloaded the 2006.0 (I keep typing 2600 Hehe..) live-cd, and when I boot from it, the motherboard ports come up as eth0 and eth1, and the Intel as eth2 and eth3. This makes sense. We like this.
8
9 However, once I install, the system decides "Oh no, we're going to screw with your head now, boy!" and switches it so that the *Intel* card comes up as eth0/1 and the on-board ports are eth2/3.
10
11 Is there a way I can change this so that eth0/1 are the on-board ports? It will save me lots of headaches later. :)
12
13 Thank you all in advance--and I have to say--nice job on the spiffy-new installer interface! :)
14
15 Best,
16 --Glenn
19 Glenn E. Sieb, MTS