From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LINGUAS make.conf variable being ignored?
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 21:51:06
1 On Saturday, 6 January 2018 18:34:36 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 16:00:14 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > > grep linguas_en /var/portage/profiles/use.desc
4 > > > linguas_en - English locale
5 > > > linguas_en_AU - English locale for Australia
6 > > > linguas_en_CA - English locale for Canada
7 > > > linguas_en_GB - English locale for Britain
8 > > > linguas_en_US - English locale
9 > >
10 > > I object to that (not you, Neil, some dev or other). I live in England;
11 > > I speak English. People who live in America speak their own version of
12 > > it, adapted from the original.
13 >
14 > Indeed, en_US is a fork of the original.
15 >
16 > I guess that's why, in the old cowboy films, the native Americans used to
17 > say "white man speak with forked tongue" ;-)
18
19 Then there's that old one about the Native American chief who observed that
20 only a white man could think that cutting a foot off the bottom of a blanket
21 and sewing it onto the top would give him a longer blanket.
24 Regards,
25 Peter.