From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dma_intr errors on heavy writes -- cause for concern?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:23:28
1 On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 02:32:36AM +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 01 November 2006 02:08, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
3 > > During certain times I my server under goes heavy disc writes. When this
4 > > happen I get the following error. Should I be concerned? Does anyone know
5 > > of any resources that I can read up on that will explain that all of this
6 > > mean?
7 >
8 > yes, you should. Errors like this have usually one of this causes:
9 >
10 > disk is dying
11 > cable is defective
12 > PSU drops voltages under load
13 > controller is defective
14 > ram is defective
15 > board is just junk
16 >
17 > >From most likely to least likely.
18
19 Seconded.... dma_intr errors are never good, pretty much each time I've
20 seen them they've preceeded a drive failure. From what I remember it's
21 basically the disk failing and then going out of DMA mode to try to
22 recover and failing (or something like that). Short answer is start
23 shopping for new disks if you like your data to be safe :) Or at
24 minimal do a backup of anything important on there ASAP.
27 Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
29 "Backups are for people who don't pray." -- big Mike
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list