From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] burning HD mpeg4 to dvd
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:18:25
1 On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:43:35 -0600
2 Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Does anybody have any links, instructions, information etc. on how to burn HD video MPEG4 to DVD?
5 > I want to be able to play HD on TV and I don't want to reduce the quality.
6 >
7 > Do I need Blue-Ray dvd recorder to be able to play HD recording?
8
9 > Can standard DVD play HD mpeg4 files?
10 I don't know, but I highly doubt that a DVD player can play a 1920x1080
11 file. The best way to be sure is to read the device manual.
12
13 > I have new camera that records HD (1920x1080) mpeg4 movies, most files are below 3GB; is there a way to burn them into standard DVD on Linux.
14 > I'm familiar with standard MPEG2 format and burning but not HD MPEG4..
15 Please provide more information.
16 I *assume* that you have a dvd-recorder driver in your computer
17 and a Blu-Ray player on top of your TV.
18
19 If that is the case,
20
21 1) I would try some blu-ray authoring tool; presumably, such a tool
22 would generate a .iso file intended to be recorded to a Blu-Ray media.
23 I would record that .iso to a DVD media. I guess it would work.
24 But to be sure it would work, I would
25 2) Read the device manual.
26
27 If you don't have a Blu-Ray player, but only a normal
28 DVD player, I think it is very unlikely you will be able to play
29 a 1920x1080 file with it.
32 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds