From: Ian Kester-Haney <ikesterhaney@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config power-saving arcana; and getting acpi working.
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:07:30
1 On 1/25/06, Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Some while back I was trying to get power saving working fully on my desktop
3 > box and I found people talking about swsusp (as opposed to swsusp2) being
4 > part of the official kernel sources. This puzzled me greatly because I have
5 > never come across this option when configuring a kernel. In the end I
6 > resigned myself to it being just one of those things.
7 Its a parameter that should point to an empty partition for the kernel
8 to park RAM information for use in a reboot. Its like specifing a
9 specific hibernation file in windows, you pass the option to use the
10 suspend partition to start the system.
11 >
12 > However yesterday, while I was trying in vain to get at least one acpi
13 > function working, I became vastly more perplexed to find that there is
14 > supposed to be a kernel config parameter called CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP. Again, I
15 > have never come across this option when I have configured a kernel. Yet it is
16 > supposed to be part of the vanilla kernel (e.g. 2.6.15). Am I delusional?
17 >
18 I have had my omputer sleep under linux, at least my STR part of it,
19 wakes up on keypress.
20 > I have tried a whole load of other things to get things like acpi sleep
21 > working, such as patching the 2.6.15 kernel with the patches from
22 > acpi.sourceforge.net, making sure APM is disabled, as well as patching the
23 > kernel with a debugged version of my motherboard's DSDT, but nothing gets any
24 > kind of suspend or sleep working.
25 >
26 I just enable ACPI
27 > I understand that I should be able to trigger power saving states by writing
28 > to /sys/power/state, but whenever I 'echo -n standby > /sys/power/state' or
29 > 'echo mem > /sys/power/state', even as root, nothing happens. I have checked
30 > the write permissions and they are fine. However 'cat /sys/power/state'
31 > invariably returns 'standby mem', no matter what I do.
32 >
33 > acpid works, at least to the extent that the machine will halt when the power
34 > button is pressed.
35 >
36 > If I could ditch acpi and get by with apm then I would, however I am not
37 > optimistic about this because apm is supposed not to like multiple processors
38 > and I have a hyperthreading P4.
39 >
40 > How am I to get power saving (well, sleep at least) working?
41 >
42 > Thanks
43 > Robert
44 > --
45 > Robert Persson
46 >
47 > Conspiracy Bears:
48 > Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
49 >
50 > --
51 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list