From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI install noob questions
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 10:23:08
1 On Saturday, 26 December 2020 06:28:44 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > This is my first UEFI install, so please pardon the questions.
3 >
4 > 1) Partitioning questions: The standard layout example in
5 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#What_is_the_BI
6 > OS_boot_partition.3F says...
7 >
8 > > The BIOS boot partition is needed when a GPT partition layout is used
9 > > with GRUB2 in BIOS/Legacy mode. It is not required when booting in
10 > > EFI/UEFI mode.
11 >
12 > The standard layout example is...
13 >
14 > Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
15 > 1 1.00MiB 3.00MiB 2.00MiB grub bios_grub
16 > 2 3.00MiB 131MiB 128MiB boot boot
17 > 3 131MiB 643MiB 512MiB swap
18 > 4 643MiB 20479MiB 19836MiB rootfs
19 >
20 > Given that my machine is incapable of booting in BIOS/Legacy mode, I
21 > assume that the 2-megabyte partition is unnecessary, grub or no grub.
22
23 Some people say you don't need it, but I found that I did. I suppose it's a
24 quirk of the motherboard or its BIOS.
25
26 > Also, given bloat over time, is 128 megabytes still sufficient for the
27 > boot partition today? I plan to keep 2 kernels around at all times,
28 > "Production" and "Experimental".
29
30 Mine's 1GB. It contains the most recenet kernel plus one for a small rescue
31 system; also the most recent one of each that I know to work.
34 Regards,
35 Peter.