From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make oldconfig
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 20:55:08
1 Eric Martin wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> At least in the kernel Makefile there is no hint about /proc/config.gz
7 >>> which contains the running kernel configuration, so I think make
8 >>> oldconfig or your favourite kernel configuration tool is still needed.
9 >>> If there is no .config or .config.old it will load a default
10 >>> configuration which is probably not what you want.
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >> Having a config in /proc is a option in the kernel. You just have to
16 >> turn it on. It is under the General setup as "Enable access to .config
17 >> through /proc/config.gz". I have mine here:
18 >>
19 >> root@smoker / # ls -al /proc/config*
20 >> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 10060 2008-08-05 14:19 /proc/config.gz
21 >> root@smoker / #
24 >> It can prove helpful at times.
25 >>
26 >> Dale
27 >>
28 >> :-) :-)
29 >>
30 > yeah, but it doesn't change that you still have to run make oldconfig.
31 > I love /proc/config.gz, especially because of zless and zgrep
35 True, I took what you wrote a little differently than what I think was
36 intended. You do still have to run make oldconfig tho. I may test not
37 running it just to see but I would not take the chance long term. It
38 may work fine but it may not. It doesn't take to long to run so why not?
39
40 Dale
41